Bless Up

Bless Up

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I Roy - Musical Drifter 7'' [198x Jah Life Original Pressing]

The story of I Roy is a sad one. As one of the founders of the the deejay/chatting style he was one of the premier dancehall artists of the 60's and 70's before it was even called dancehall! At the time he was one of the biggest names in reggae, but by the 80's his output almost ceased completely. After that he battled medical issues and homelessness, and eventually died in 1999 of heart failure. Like many artists of his time, he was taken advantage of by producers and label owners who exploited the artists while making the big bucks themselves.

This tune here is one of the few singles that the great I Roy ever put out in the digital era. It is a wicked cut of the Drifter riddim, similar to King Kong's Pain And Agony, though better in my opinion. Peep game, and if you don't know about I Roy, definitely check out some of his old classic material like The Many Moods Of I Roy LP and the Presenting I Roy LP (both on Trojan).


No comments:

Post a Comment